Stanley Halpin wrote:

One other point about lens speed: the importance of wide apertures has
seriously diminished (except for very specialized niche applications that call
for shallow DOF) - the ability to shoot clean shots at ISO6400 or 12800 really
makes “fast” lenses a relic of the good old days when we had a choice of either
Kodachrome as God intended it to be at ISO 25 or of that new Kodachrome 64 that
was a serious compromise in quality.

I take it that you've never tried photographing dancers at a social dance: tango, lindy hop, west coast, blues etc. Nor have you probably ever tried photographing martial artists taking a belt test, or any other athletic activity where people are moving fairly quickly in indoor lighting and you can't use a flash.

Yes, what we can get out of sensors at ISOs above 6400 these days is really amazing, but trust me, the need for fast glass for reasons other than shallow dof has not gone away.

--
Larry Colen  l...@red4est.com (postbox on min4est)