Eric,

From what I know, you can make photos private on Flickr.
So, that should resolve your issue (2). Just make the "backups" private.

I suspect, however, there is no way to clearly separate "backups" area from the rest.

I am not using Flickr myself (my wife does), - so, I don't know if you can set "private" as a default for all uploaded photos, or you'd have to set it manually after uploading...

As for (1), - I am not sure... it probably depends on your workflow.
I am not aware of an "automatic backup from computers" to Flickr tools.
But maybe they've created something...

Just in case, - if you have Amazon Prime, - that offers unlimited storage of photos in the cloud. But the same logistics questions remain. So, the only advantage is the "unlimited".

But then the question is - what is your bandwidth and the traffic cap with your ISP, - how long will it take you to upload your photos...

Igor