On 2015-06-11 9:53 , Eric Weir wrote:
This suggests another question about Flickr as backup, though I’m leaning away
from using it as such: Can you upload RAW/DNG files to Flickr?

i didn't try it, but no, not according to a couple of recent references i found; but any cloud service that handles RAW files is pretty much going to guess at your rendering intent — in other words, you'll have RAW in the cloud, but it may not look good

If not it would really be worthless as backup.

it depends what you mean by backup; it sounds like you think of backup as true copies of your work, in which case i think cloud backup solutions in general aren't up to the job unless you create very few images (or perhaps you are willing to spend for lots of cloud storage and you have something like Google Fiber to speed your uploads)

for the many terabytes that a lot of serious photographers create, using physical storage media (hard drives) and rotating some to "off-site" locations is faster and more cost effective; what can put you off this path is that it takes thought, whereas a lot of cloud services seem to take care of everything; but believe me, i have been called in to consult with people who have dragged their hard drive icon into their Dropbox folder, thinking it would "take care of it"; days later they are wondering why their computer is slow, why only some of their files are on their other devices, and what the funny messages are about

there are also many people who think of their pictures less seriously — they'd be happy to mainly be preserving JPEGs, and yet they know enough to realize Facebook doesn't cut it as a backup plan; from that mindset i think this is a surprisingly rational overview of the current cloud options:

<http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/29/8467289/cloud-photo-storage-comparison-dropbox-icloud-flickr-onedrive-free>

my guess is the cloudy cloud options will become much more clear over the next few years

And another: What about the organizational capabilities? Could you have a
folder of folders of large numbers of files?

you'll have to learn the paradigm — on Flickr you can put photos into sets (same photo can be in more than one set); collections can hold sub-collections or sets (but not both), so you can nest "subfolders" up to a point; but i would be cautious of putting too much work into this — i would organize my files at the source, then if i wanted that organization to carry through to other locations i'd use metadata (tags) to embody the organization in the actual files (or sidecars), and if i needed to, use searches to find that metadata and set up the organization on Flickr