Brian,

A few days ago (June 9 or 10), I've seen that the mail-archive was stack
for a few hours, as it was not getting any new messages, while I was getting (digests) those just fine. Then either it cleared up by itself or Doug used a proverbial plunger.
Since that I haven't noticed much of a problem.

In the recent past (1-2 months ago), I've see that a few "original" thread messages didn't make it to that same archive, while the followups did. I don't know why. (I have my suspicions that it could've been related to the long URLs inside those messages that were not in those replies that went through to the archive. I wonder if the mail-archive.com's own anti-spam filters may have been triggered by those URLs.)

Just in case: you don't have to use the web-based interface to subscribe/unsubscribe. Any e-mail you get from PDML contains list management information, how to subscribe/unsubscribe.
In short:
To subscribe a particular account, send from it an e-mail to the address:
pdml-requ...@pdml.net
With the Subject:     subscribe
To unsubscribe, use the Subject:   unsubscribes.
Use Subject:    help
to get more information about the commands.

Follow the instructions you get in the response from the list-management server.

Hope that helps,

Igor