Hi,

Aaron gave you a good answer, but there's a little more to it for some
people and some lenses.

There are those who believe that working with a longer focal length lens,
such as an 80mm instead of a 50mm for 35mm work, alllows for sharper
and better quality results because only the center area of the lens is being
used, eliminating or substantially reducing the effects of light fall off, lack
of edge sharpness and resolution, and one or two other concerns.  This
is, perhaps, more of a concern with lesser quality lenses, but it is a
concern nonetheless.

Also, if you're using a grain focuser, having the enlarger head higher can
allow you to get your head under it in order to use the focuser to best
advantage.
On Friday, April 26, 2002, at 06:18  AM, Alan Abbott wrote:

> I have only just started out printing my own B&W so apologies if this
> is a silly question.
> Why use a longer focal length lens and have to raise the head/drop the
> print so far rather then use a shorter focal length and have the print
> nearer?

---
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]