On 11 Nov 2015, at 12:50, Malcolm Smith <rrve...@virginmedia.com> wrote:

> Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>
>> Sorry if this doesn't answer your questions directly. Unraveling a
>> slightly mucked up Lightroom catalog database takes time and
>> persistence. You need to look at a lot of things, one at a time, to
>> determine what the state of a particular catalog is and what files it
>> is looking at. Always look from catalog to file system, and then the
>> other way, to determine issues that need to be fixed.
>
> It's so important to get Lightroom to set the catalogue database right from
> the start. I thought I understood that, and I also thought that at least the
> images I had from DSLRs were in a logical order.
>
> [...]
>
> For someone organised, starting with Lightroom should be a big help, but if
> you don't know what it is you want until you start, you have to live with and
> correct the errors that you make!

My view, which I implemented from v0.n beta of LR because it is a sound general
principle, is that you should not confuse the physical organisation (i.e. on
the disk) and the logical organisation, in the catalogue. Therefore I have a
completely flat unstructured set of photographs on disk, in one folder (but see
below), and I use LR to catalogue it. That's the point of a catalogue - to make
multiple independent groups independently of the physical organisation, so that
they are easy to find and to view in different ways. Folder structures on disk
are a 2nd-rate attempt to do something similar - you don't really need two ways
to do it. Occam's law applies.

However, my installation of LR itself does create subfolders on the disk whose
name is based on the file date, but I suspect I set it up this way while I was
drunk, or perhaps it was the default setting, when I first got LR. It's
unnecessary, but quieta non movere trumps Occam.