Eric Weir wrote:

> Thanks, Malcolm. As I said in my previous post, I’ve never done
> anything with my catalog. The notion of an “organized” catalog
> intrigues me. Again, I have only one. Every image I’ve ever taken has
> been just dumped into it. There’s no structure whatsoever. Curious
> about how you're going about organizing yours.

Not sure how this will help you, as generally I work in a very different way to
most folk. Anyway, this is it:

When I first got Lightroom, I imported my digital pictures from the hard disc,
to allow it to connect to the full image on the disc. At that point, all my
work was in date order. As I still write a daily diary (and here I assume most
people don't) this was a sensible way to do things for me. However, at some
point under an entirely different heading on the spare drive, I found about
2000+ images I thought I'd lost some time ago. It must have been a hangover
from a transfer from an earlier computer, but with this and the continual
adding of new pictures, the date order system could no longer work.

I therefore rearranged the files on the hard disc into category and made a sub
folder for each new set coming in to the relevant category. This allowed me to
slot in the lost images and have a home for the new as they arrived in a
logical order. What I became aware of very quickly, is by moving things around
on the disc, whilst it made it easy for me, Lightroom could no longer find a
large number of the pictures, so I had some fun (ongoing) to restore the links.
It's quite a simple process and I do it when I find the one I'm looking for has
a broken link. As I said earlier, if I'd known ahead of time how things would
turn out, I'd have re-organised before importing.

Lastly, I don't import directly into Lightroom. Because I share the computer,
it drives my wife nuts that photos automatically want to go in via Lightroom
and some are hers and that's not what she wants. I have my images moved to new
or relevant files and then import from there. Takes a few minutes longer but it
works for me and I have no trouble importing that way. As I'm importing files
regularly now from slide or negative scans, doing it this way also helps me to
categorise pictures I took up to 30 years ago.

Now you need to get a reply from someone who uses it the way Adobe intended you
to!

Malcolm