Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> Sorry if this doesn't answer your questions directly. Unraveling a
> slightly mucked up Lightroom catalog database takes time and
> persistence. You need to look at a lot of things, one at a time, to
> determine what the state of a particular catalog is and what files it
> is looking at. Always look from catalog to file system, and then the
> other way, to determine issues that need to be fixed.

It's so important to get Lightroom to set the catalogue database right from the
start. I thought I understood that, and I also thought that at least the images
I had from DSLRs were in a logical order.

Well, it turns out that knowing where to find the images on the hard disc (or
spare drive) to view is one thing, but having a logical catalogue which makes
sense as you add to it, work on them - and make them available for web or
printing is something quite different. Only after I got a sizeable amount of
the catalogue sorted did I realise that not all the images were present, but
the whole way I stored them on the computer no longer made sense.

This became a circular problem, as I would have liked to have worked these
issues out before making a Lightroom catalogue, yet until I was well into
making it, I would not have known the issues!

It's taken me a while to enable Lightroom to find where the 'missing' folders
or files went, but I have learnt a lot about the software in the process, and I
now have the files laid out in a manner which makes sense to me and can grow
with as I add scans of slides and negatives, as well as my latest digital
pictures.

For someone organised, starting with Lightroom should be a big help, but if you
don't know what it is you want until you start, you have to live with and
correct the errors that you make!

Malcolm