Bob W wrote:

> I don't mean to imply that your process is 2nd-rate - I apologise if it
> seemed like that to you, just that hierarchical folders per se are not
> usually the best way of organising most things on a computer, whether
> it's photos or just general files. We don't always have any option
> though.
>
> You can make this quicker for yourself in your circumstances though by
> importing directly from the SD card into LR and let it put them
> automatically into date-based folders. That would save you a lot of
> time and effort.
>
> I'd consider doing something similar for scanned photos too. Scan them
> always onto the same unstructured folder and import directly from
> there.
> I've been in computing for well over 30 years so it's not really a
> question of enjoyment, just of knowing how to do stuff to make it work
> well for me, and being able to do it quite quickly.

Thanks Bob. To horrify you further I shoot jpeg on one card and RAW on the
other on everything I shoot, so I download two images to the drive. Most of
my friends aren't remotely interested in photography but like copies of
pictures if we've been out together, so a quick image I can quickly reduce
in size to e-mail bypassing software altogether is actually useful for me as
well.

I will look at doing as you suggest above, but it will mean me getting used
to a new process when it's pass the computer. In the early evening, it can
often take me two goes to type as much as this, as someone needs this for
homework etc..

Time for bed.

Malcolm