Bob W wrote:

> My view, which I implemented from v0.n beta of LR because it is a sound
general principle, is that you should not confuse the physical organisation
(i.e. on the disk) and > the logical organisation, in the catalogue.
Therefore I have a completely flat unstructured set of photographs on disk,
in one folder (but see below), and I use LR to     > catalogue it. That's
the point of a catalogue - to make multiple independent groups independently
of the physical organisation, so that they are easy to find and to view
> in different ways. Folder structures on disk are a 2nd-rate attempt to do
something similar - you don't really need two ways to do it. Occam's law
applies.

> However, my installation of LR itself does create subfolders on the disk
whose name is based on the file date, but I suspect I set it up this way
while I was drunk, or    > perhaps it was the default setting, when I first
got LR. It's unnecessary, but quieta non movere trumps Occam.

And:

> You should import the photos directly from the SD card into Lightroom
> and let LR put them into the folder you've designated. In the Import
> dialog specify the keywords that apply to most of the photos (who,
> what, where - when is already in the metadata), and use a standard
> metadata thing for your static details.
>
> When it has finished importing use the Latest Import collection, or
> whatever it's called, to identify the photos, then fine tune the
> keywords on a per-photo basis as needed. If you have time you could
> also quickly rank them and / or create a collection for the ones you
> want to come back to later.
>
> If you're reasonably clever with your keywords you can always find what
> you want.

Bob, I don't disagree with any of that. I did in my earlier post to Eric
state that someone who uses it correctly should post and follow their
advice.

In an ideal world I would have my own laptop set up for myself and I could
use the software a better way. Sadly, as someone who shares the use of this
computer with several family members, I have to do things in a way that if I
am interrupted I know where I last was. I also expect people are
considerably more computer literate than I am, and as one who doesn't overly
enjoy computer programmes and dislikes computer games, I have two 400+ page
books at close hand to use either Lightroom or Elements. I am far more at
home with a fountain pen and paper. I accept that to you how I am doing this
is second rate, but I'm OK with that because I can make this work for me.
I'm still getting to grips with creating a website a bit at a time, because
whilst I'll be delighted with the finished result, it's beyond me how people
actually enjoy creating this sort of thing.

Malcolm