I’ve sent a tripod as baggage many times in a zippered case. No problems.
Tripods are pretty tough, even if they get tossed. I’ve also shipped cameras as
baggage, although those were in Pelican hard cases, with airline legal
combination locks. Again, everything arrived safely. Pro photogs do it all the
time. It’s part of the job.