On 4/1/2016 9:06 AM, Darren Addy wrote:
No this isn't an April Fools post on how to accomplish the Wright
Brother's achievement, using nothing but a tripod; It is a request for
information on the best way to transport a tripod via commercial
airlines.

I should have thought about this long before now, but... I've got a
"normal" Manfrotto (good sized) tripod. I'm going to take the 3-way
head with. I've got the Manfrotto soft (zippered) case for it. Is that
good enough to trust to the gorillas that throw baggage around? I can
pack with some bubble wrap in there, if that will help.

Alternative suggestions? Thanks in advance.

PS... I plan on carrying-on a backpack with camera video gear that is
going with. My clothes suitcase can be checked-in.

Things have changed since I last flew anywhere. The airlines have gotten
REAL EXTREME about limiting carry-on baggage at the same time they're
screwing passengers over about checked baggage.

But ...

When I flew to China, I stuffed the tripod bag full of spare underwear &
T-shirts for cushioning & let it go as checked baggage. Coming back, the
used stuff went in the tripod case for cushioning.

You might get the airline to "gate check" the tripod bag or you might be
able to convince the flight attendants to stand it up inside the coat
closet near the boarding door. I've done both of those when flying with
a guitar case (after United lost my Martin 12-string).