Carryon.

This last year I have been on four regional flights in small regional-type
planes, four flights domestically in 737-style planes or larger, three
long-distance international flights on 757 or 767 planes, and four flights on
non-U.S. carriers within South America. I strapped my Manfrotto 055CX3 to the
outside of my LowePro camera backpack and walked it on the plane. Every time,
no problem. I carried a small roll-on suitcase as my second allowed carry-on.

The regional jets have very small overhead storage, not good for much more than
a jacket, maybe a purse. One thing that may have helped me is that if/when the
check-in or gate attendant thought to question the LowePro backpack, I could
state with absolute certainty that I had been there, done that, and (a) would
not gate check my valuable camera gear, but (b) knew without question that the
LowePro would fit under the seat in front of me. So the small suitcase gets
gate checked, the tripod gets unstrapped and goes overhead, and the backpack
goes under the seat.

The only time I had any issue was on a regional flight in Argentina. The
luggage screener had never seen a tripod before. He had to call over a
supervisor to identify it and verify that it wasn’t some strange weapon.

I used to travel with an overlarge suitcase (24" rather than 22’’) and fit the
tripod in among my clothes. It was a tight fit and required removing the head.
Just carrying it on works much better for me.

stan