Stan,

Having flown quite a lot in the past few years, both domestically and internationally, I've seen some stubborn and arrogant airline employees (gate agents and flight attendants).

On one of the regional flights, the flight attendant was demanding to gate-side-check the bag even after it was placed in the overhead compartment. When I, politely and calmly, asked her why, she refused to explain why ("just because I am in charge here") and called the security guy who threatened deplaning and arresting me if I had not allowed the bag to be placed to into the belly of the plane. Fortunately, that bag didn't have much of valuable things.

... and I've seen a few other stories with others on various flights.

So, just keep in mind that the logic doesn't always work with some "local tzars" that enjoy the power. But I am sure you are aware of it. :-)

Cheers,

Igor