A few experiences:
Oslo - Newark 2004: a Sachtler 75 with a large Foba ballhead. Collapsed legs 80
cm long. SAS allowed it as carryon from Oslo, but not on the return flight.
Wrapped the legs together with plastic tape, and it arrived safely in Oslo.
Oslo - Forth Worth, Tx, 2007, same tripod in checked-in luggage both ways,
wrapped in clothes inside a soft bag Flew via Amsterdam. Handle on ballhead
broken on return flight between TX and Amsterdam. Changed planes in Detroit. UA
first, then KLM.
Manfrotto 455C with 40mm RRS Ballhead numerous times between Oslo and
destinations in Europe, all good. Mostly as checked in, but SAS and Air France
allowed it as carryon.
The Sachtler in combination with a 55mm RRS ballhead traveled with me to
Argentina for the Antarctica trip in 2009. On this trip I separated the legs
and the head in the packing. Checked in luggage, huge soft bag and clothes. All
good through SAS, BA and Aerolinas Argentinas.
Used same strategy with an Induro carbon fibre pod and the RRS head to Svalbard
in 2011 and to California in 2013. All good. Based on my experience, I think
I'll stick to that strategy in the future too. However for short trips I use a
small tripod that no airline has objected to as carryon.
The rule of thumb for carryon seems to be 'less than 50 cm long and no sharp
looking ends'.

Jostein