Well, an update of sorts ...

Following some of the information I found on the internet, I did a scan
for broken drivers. It returned a log file of all the things it "fixed".

Reading through the log file I couldn't make hide nor hair of what it
had done, but I noticed the log file also contained all the errors from
the failed Windoze 10 installation attempt & I noticed something
peculiar. All of the errors were from packages that failed to open & all
the packages that did fail were for an AMD x64 processor.

I found that kind of interesting because the system CPU is a quad core
Intel i7.

???

I'll give it one more go, but if it doesn't install in time to qualify
for the "free upgrade", fageddaboutit!