The U.S. Diesel particulate and NOx standards effectively banned them here.
Mercedes , BMW and GM have been able to meet the standards with urea injection
and filters, but the tuning was somewhat crippling. Volkswagen and Audi got
around it by cheating. Diesels are all but dead for cars in the U.S. still
viable for light trucks.

Paul via phone