On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My questions all revolve around cold weather starting.
> What is considered cold for a Diesel?

Having used diesel buses for 9 years  answer is, it varies on the
engine. I found Internationals and Cat engines would start in -15 or
so with out trouble, Mercedes engines had to be helped along. Older
Internationals needed to be plugeed in around -5 or so.

> Should plugging in the block heater make a difference?
Yes plug it in.

> Can glow plugs be flakey?
Yes they can be flaky, our rule of thub was to cycle the glow plugs at
least 3-4 times before attempting to start iyt when it got to -5 or so
with out a plug in. Yes Wabasto heaters in the newer Internationals
and Thomas built buses are a god send but they break down a lot. I ran
mine off a timer set 30 min before i arrived at the bus.

Dave

--
Documenting Life in Rural Ontario.
www.caughtinmotion.com