> On 11 December 2016 at 12:32 David J Brooks <pentko...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Bill <anotherdrunken...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My questions all revolve around cold weather starting.
> > What is considered cold for a Diesel?
>
> Having used diesel buses for 9 years  answer is, it varies on the
> engine. I found Internationals and Cat engines would start in -15 or
> so with out trouble, Mercedes engines had to be helped along. Older
> Internationals needed to be plugeed in around -5 or so.
>
> > Should plugging in the block heater make a difference?
> Yes plug it in.
>
> > Can glow plugs be flakey?
> Yes they can be flaky, our rule of thub was to cycle the glow plugs at
> least 3-4 times before attempting to start iyt when it got to -5 or so
> with out a plug in. Yes Wabasto heaters in the newer Internationals
> and Thomas built buses are a god send but they break down a lot. I ran
> mine off a timer set 30 min before i arrived at the bus.

Some Webastos have the electronic controller built into the case, above the
combustion chamber.  Guess what happens?  Yes, "frying tonight".  Long term
answer is to remove said controller to a cooler place.  Actually it has to be a
new controller, as they are "potted" and effectively unrepairable.

Does knowing that make me a wonk?