I just did some further testing.

Subject line URLs work fine in standalone iOS Mail.app and macOS Mail.app, but
do not work in the browser-based mail for iCloud using either Safari or FireFox
on macOS. :-)

So much for consistency!

As I said: I used to use this capability with Mail.app on macOS at work.

Most of the time, however, if I send URL-only to someone now, it's as a txt not
an email; it's actually a bit awkward to do it with Mail compared to txt… The
macOS and iOS Message apps process the link, extract an image or preview on
both the sender's and recipient's txt stream, and add a click-/tap-able region
to jump to the web page if desired.

Whether this meets with some set of RFC codes or not I haven't the foggiest,
nor am I interested to find out. If I had to copy and paste the URL from the
subject to a browser to get to the link, well, that's clumsy but I suspect the
world wouldn't end…

 :-)

—
"Simplify, simplify, simplify.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
"One 'simplify' would have sufficed." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson