> On Nov 1, 2019, at 11:12 AM, Juan Buhler <juanbuh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I figured I'd start a thread about lens lust. Note this is not "lenses I
> need". I have too many as it is, covering every focal length I care about
> (which doesn't go much further than 100 or 135mm anyway)

I’ve been very lucky that in the past few years I’ve managed to score on
several of my wishlist lenses, mostly through a combination of gifts and KEH.

DA 35 macro
FA 43 ltd
DFA 100 WR macro
Sigma 35/1.4 macro

I always find myself wanting faster lenses, and particularly faster and wider,
or faster and longer.  It must be really nice to be one of those people that
only does one small subset of photography, like sports, wildlife or landscape.
I take some consolation in Moore’s Law in that as sensors get better I can use
an f/2.8 lens in cases where I used to need f/1.4 or faster. Unfortunately, I
now find myself photographing in even more ridiculous light levels and still
needing faster glass.

Also, unfortunately, I find myself needing autofocus more and more.  The
situation could be relieved a bit with decent through the eyepiece live view
with focus peaking, or a split focusing screen (katzeye), but age is taking its
toll on my eyesight even faster than on my memory.

My 77/1.8 is still one of my favorite lenses, but when photographing musicians
I still want faster and longer, 85/1.4, or 135 f/2 or faster.

In a similar vein, a lot of the night landscapes I do require faster and wider
than what I have. I’ve got the Rokinon 24/1.4 which is pretty nice, and the
Pentax 15-30/2.8, but I still constantly find myself up against difficulties
capturing the night sky, and wanting both faster and wider glass.   It expect
that better sensors, and/or better processing software could alleviate those
issues.  In theory software could take multiple images, separate sky from
foreground, stack and stitch them separately and put them back together in one
clean photo. In theory, the software could even do something fancy with
convolution and unsmear the stars.
While I’m off topic and talking about my software wishlist, it would be nice if
I could just point my processing software and a directory, have it look at time
stamps, GPS, compass and accelerometer data and automatically HDR and/or stitch
any photos that could be.

When photographing wildlife, I constantly find myself up against the length and
speed limits of my bigma (50-500), I don’t know what would be better, but I do
know that I can’t afford it.

If I was shooting APS I’d definitely want the sigma f/1.8 zooms (18-35 and
50-100), if they were full frame I’d probably try to rent out my body on street
corners to come up with the money.  In the department of wishing it were full
frame, I could really use the 50-135/2.8 range in full frame, although a
35-100/2.8 would probably do me even more good.

I also wish that I had weather sealed versions of pretty much all of my legacy
glass. I don’t stop taking photos when the weather gets a bit damp. As has been
recently observed, that’s often when the best opportunities happen.

The DA40/2.8 was mentioned, and back in the days of my K-x that was one of my
favorite walkabout lenses because it turned the K-x into practically a pocket
camera.  Like the DA35 macro, it vignettes a little bit on the K-1, but is
still manageable.  Processing software could solve a lot of that.
Speaking of software wishlists, I wish my K-1 gave me an option between APS and
FF, and also that the square format option didn’t store all of the raw sensor
data so that it was useful in raw mode to save the K-1 buffer space.

--
Larry Colen
l...@red4est.com