Actually the lens I want, but can't justify, is the DA 16-50mm f2.8.

I already have a Sigma 17-70 f2.8~4.5 which covers the range, and suits my needs most of the time.

Plus the Tamron 17-50mm is a wee bit better optically by all accounts and much closer to my budget.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at the Pentax if I could get it for the same price as the Tamron, since it probably beats it like a rag doll as far as build quality is concerned.