----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Ewins
Subject: Non MLU 6x7

> A question for the Brotherhood:
>     I received a couple of fixer-upper come "parts"  6x7's in
the mail
> today, and while they are both definietly non MLU, there are a
number of
> detail differences between them. One is serial # 40042xx while
the other is
> 40348xx, so presumably they are 30600 units apart.
> The most obvious differences are the film reel locks on the
bottom plate,
> which are a the same as the battery case on the newee model,
but on the
> older one are simply moved by thumb pressure on a textured
surface which
> looks kind of like a microprism grid. The bottom plate is
different on both
> to accomodat the change. The battery covers are different too
(more satin
> chrome on one) and the wind lever is also different. Some of
the lettering
> is pale blue on one and pale green on the other and the
numbering on the
> shutter speed dial is thicker on one than on the other.
> Does anyone know when these sort of changes were made? Is this
a case of a
> mark 1 and mark 2 version of the non MLU 6x7, or were there a
number of
> variations in its life?

You got an early non MLU model from the first few years of
production, and a later non MLU version, from a year or so prior
to the MLU cameras coming out. I am not entirely sure of the
dates, I think the 6x7 first came out in the very early 1970s,
and they added MLU about 6 years later.

William Robb