On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 07:32:50AM +0000, mike wilson wrote:

> > On 24 November 2021 at 04:47 John Francis <jo...@panix.com> wrote:
> >

> > The Olympus rig is only a little lighter than the Pentax;
> > while the lens is significantly lighter (even though it's
> > f2.8, not f4), the OM-D body is actually quite a bit heavier
> > than the K5. (The K3 is heaver than the K5, too, but still
> > significantly lighter than the OM-D M1X, even with a grip).
>
> I was rather curious about this.  For decades, Pentax was agreed to be the
> lightest and petitest of the major manufacturers, generally without a lack of
> facility.  I can remember discussions here about it being one of the
> attractants.  It will be interesting to see if you decide that the saving in
> mass was worth the expenditure.

Well, a fair bit of the expenditure was already earmarked; the K5 is
getting a bit long in the tooth, so I was considering getting a K3iii.

The big saving in mass comes if I want to use longer focal lengths.
The last time I went to San Diego Wild Animal Park was the first time
I got to use my 250-600, and there were a couple of time when I could
have used something longer. This was back before the days of digital
bodies; I suspect 600mm on an APS-C sensor would be enough. But that
lens weighs something like 12lb; there's no way nowadays I'll want to
lug that around for several hours.

But with the 4/3 sensor I just need to get to 400mm.  I'm not planning
on buying Olympus's fancy new ($7,500!) 150-400mm/f4.5 zoom, but I might
consider renting one for a couple of weeks.  And that 'only' weighs 4lb.
Still a lot to cart around, but a lot more manageable than 12 lb!
And if I do decide I want my own longer lens Olympus have another way
to get there - they have an older 100-400/f5.0-6.3 which is a lot lighter
(on both the wallet and the shoulders); I would think I should be able to
sell my 250-600 for more than enough to cover the purchase of that lens.