So in the end, after doing some research based on input from the PDML,
I bought a motherboard/CPU package and a new graphics board. I spent
several hours today installing the new motherboard (the cooling system
I got for the new CPU, although far from the most extensive available,
is freakin' HUGE!) and graphics card. Here's the most amazing thing:
Windows 10 just booted right up. Yup. Recognized the new hardware and
installed drivers almost instantly. You could have knocked me over
with a feather! It's still early days but I can already tell this is
MUCH faster. Some deconvolution sharpening actions on K-1 files that
used to take minutes now take seconds. Big fun.

Since it's been a loong time since I've refreshed this system (and
I've done too much tinkering in the interim) I'll do an OS refresh and
reinstall apps when I have more free time, just to be safe. But for
now I'm really happy.
--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List