Joseph wrote:
> Part of the issue may be where one shoots. Nearly all of my shooting is
> in bright sun, with a lot of contrast. Pentax's multi-segment metering
> in these situations will apparently expose for dark areas, causing
> lighter areas to overexpose on slide film. On color negative film this
> is okay, so I suppose Pentax designs their metering program for such
> films (which most users shoot anyway). If you shoot in conditions that
> don't have a lot of contrast, you may not experience a problem.

This is basically just a problem with the latitude of the film. Slide film cannot
record high contreast scenes. For slide film you should usually expose for the
highlights but the camera doesn't know that and tries to average the scene (like all
meters - including center weighted). In some circumstances you have to overide any
meter.

> There was a post here sometime ago from an owner of the MZ-S who said
> that it does not seem to overexpose. I bought two MZ-S's for my office,
> but won't trust the multi-segment metering for anything crucial. I took
> them to Africa recently, but used center-weighted and got fine
> exposures.
>
> I'm very frustrated that for those of us who shoot slide film, Pentax
> offers only one model, quite expensive. I'm fine with my two PZ-1p
> bodies, but have a problem recommending Pentax to anyone who wants to
> shoot slides but doesn't wish to spend $900 for an MZ-S.

This is with all due respect nonsense. Pentax have one of the best matrix metering
systems in the industry; just look at what Andy Rouse says about his switch from the
Canon EOS-1v to Pentax - no need to constantly override the matrix meter anymore. He
fully rely on Pentax AF and matrix metering.
The matrix metering of my 645n and MZ-S (and for that matter the Z-1p) is several
magnitudes more "right" than center weighted metering. No meter is correct all the
time but it is really boring to almost always figuring out that the matrix meter is
right 95% or more of the time with Velvia. I always (when time allows) check the
matrix reading with a spotmetering. Practically always, the matrix meter is within 1/3
of a stop; a difference that qualifies as "taste" in exposure.

Pål