----- Original Message -----
From: Ayash Kanto Mukherjee
Subject: Re: Twin flash for Macro: Some thoughts

Ayash, with the setup Warren describes, the bellows factor and
guide number factor cancel each other out perfectly.
Exposure must be increased based on an obverse square ratio of
the lens to film plane distance; the exposure must be decreased
based on an inverse square ratio of the flash to subject
distance.
All he had to do was calculate a primary exposure, based on the
minimum bellows draw, and the film plane to subject distance
that it gave when in focus. As he moves the camera closer to the
subject, he is racking out the bellows. This has the dual effect
of increasing lens to film plane distance (bellows draw), and
decreasing at the same rate, the flash to subject distance.
It is quite a clever design concept, actually.

I have used TTL with success with macro, but the calculations
needed to do it are based more on guesswork than science.

William Robb

> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, W.Xato wrote:
>
> > Ihave an interesting set up you might be interested
> > in. I used two cheapie Vivitar flashes on home made
> > brackets which I attached to the front standard of a
> > bellows.  As you know, the inverse square law says
> > that you must increase exposure as you rack out the
> > bellows.
>
> That's right. By how much the exposure should be increased can
be
> calculated from the length of extension of the bellow and the
focal length
> of the lens used.
>
> > Also it says that as the flash gets closer
> > to the subject, you must decrease the exposure.
>
> The problem lies here. By how much moving distance the flash
be moved
> towards or away from the subject amounts to how much decrease
or increase
> of exposure? Can you please give me some data along with the
guide number
> of the flash that you use.
>
> > But with the flash attached to the front standard, both of
> > these cancel out.
>
> I have no idea for how much extension of bellow and separation
between the
> flash & subject such cancellation takes place.
>
> > With my 80mm macro lens and Velvia,
> > I just set it at f8 and shoot away.
>
> If the guide number of the flash that you use are not matching
with with
> mine, the aperture value will be different in my case.
However, it can be
> adjusted to f/8 by adjusting the flash to subject distance.
But hey, I