>That explains your point of view but doesn't explain, why you are so
>reluctant about any possibilities for Pentax to fight back, unless of
>course
>you don't really give a damn to what camera you use, which means (forgive
>my
>words - I don't mean to offend you) you're not a Pentaxian, but temporarily
>a Pentax user and have no emotional relation to the equipment you use; thus
>whether Pentax regains its high position or not doesn't make any difference
>to you.

Temporary or not, I really do not know. But I have been using Pentax for 10
years and have no plan to switch so far. A friend of mine switched from
Pentax to Nikon to Bronica to Contax and now Leica within 10 years. He
constantly bugging me to dump Pentax and trying to make me felt bad. I don't
really give a damn. My MX and Z-1p don't have the latest technology but they
are dependable. But then I do not wish Pentax to lose the war totally
because I might keep updating my system slowly in the future. But I do care
about quality. That's why I bought the LIMITED lenses when I could afford
to. But then again, I am not rich enough to buy every expensive item that I
like.

>But Pentax seems even not to care if its local distributors are competent.
>There are NO coordinated information campaigns, not to mention effective
>promotion and commercials. Nobody knows anything, there is no official
>information about how specific features work (P-TTL for example) etc etc...

I guess nobody would disagree on this. Poor or zero marketing outside Japan
has killed many good Pentax products. How sad.  :(

>I think Z-1p is particular good because it is NOT the AF what makes photos,
>but a photographer. However, except maybe for the mechanical DOFp, Z-1p is
>so much user friendly, that I enjoy every minute I work with it.

Personally, I like the MZ-3/5n interface better. Unfortunately, I hate their
viewfinder so I chose Z-1p instead because I manual focus a lot. From time
to time, I would set the camera incorrectly and wasted some film on my Z-1p.
Not exactly easy to operate imho. My IQ could be below average of course.
:)

>Pentax didn't implemented the HyperProgram (or to be more precise, why made
>controlling the aperture possible only with the aperture ring) and built-in
>flash compensation in it.

Pentax has a long history of being unpredictable. But I have no problem to
use the aperture ring. In fact, I have found setting the aperture through
the Z-1p dial was not precise (some lenses have 1/3-1/2ev difference when
set to 'A') I just keep using the aperture rings on the lenses.

>MZ-S is full of contradictions. Moreover, lack of promotion and
>information,
>together with a bit too high price (when compared with Dynaxx 7 for
>example)
>and those contradictions don't make its future bright IMHO.

I think the problem is that most people judged AF cameras by their
"quantity" (means how the camera was jam-packed with features) instead of
"quality" which is the major selling point of MZ-S. I am not saying the MZ-S
was good or not. But with the built quality of the MZ-S, one cannot expect
it cost as little as the Z-1p. Besides, anything super compact are
expensive, just like Walkman or notebook computers.

regards,
Alan Chan