The MZ-3 doesn't have picture modes, Michael. I think you're thinking
of the MZ-7.

I had a 5n, which shares the autofocus and casing of the MZ-3, and I
now have an MZ-S.

It comes down to whether you want to spend the extra. If you can spare
the extra cash, the MZ-S is far superior. The autofocus is much smarter
-- it isn't fooled by dust, smoke or dirt for a start.  The build
quality of the MZ-S is unmatched at its price. Hold it and see :-)

--
Kristian