On 8 Sep 2002 at 17:23, Mishka wrote:

> this thread is so depressing... seems like the only reason everyone is using
> pentax gear is because that's what they used when they were kids.

Hi Mishka,

Don't get too depressed. I too have owned Pentax cameras for a while, the
SuperA being my first real SLR closely followed by my first LX in August 1987.
This particular LX is still in use and is my preferred K body, my original
SuperA was sold but I still have one plus I have bought and sold at least 4 in
the interim.

Now back to the not so depressing part. Since my first Pentax purchase I have
owned and used Nikon F2, Contax G2, Contax SLR (RTSII, RTS III) and Leica M and
R along with plenty of top end glass for each and the only kit that I still own
is the Leica M. The Pentax lenses and bodies are excellent and compare
favourably or often better their rivals in performance. The Leica M kit is
complementary to the Pentax SLR and comparable WRT optical performance, build
and colour match.

I agree that the some of best old Pentax glass is difficult to find however
once you own one or two of these lenses you can appreciate why there is so
little of the premium older gear on the market. :-)

All that depresses me about Pentax at the moment is the complete lack of a
digital body to fit my favourite Pentax lenses too (bet you could see that
coming :-)

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA