-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Roberts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 9:09 AM

"Steve Desjardins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You know, I hate to start speculation all over agin, but the fact that
>they didn't release anything might indiciate that they just chose to
>skip this show, no matter how big it is.  It's hard to belieive that
>they have develped nothing at all, including P&S.

It's certainly odd. It's possibly even weirder that Nikon didn't show
anything.
Anyone on any Nikon mailing lists? I'd expect they're wondering why Nikon
didn't
announce a full-frame digital SLR, especially after Canon and Kodak (with a
Nikon lens mount) did. What's the speculation from the Nikon fanatics out
there?

I was also amazed and disappointed to get nothing new from Fuji. The ISO 100
Velvia was widely anticipated (and, frankly, would have been a lot more
useful
to me than a Pentax digital SLR).

Curiouser and curiouser.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com

Mark,

There was quite some talk on a few lists about nothing coming out of Nikon.
The manual focus people were not surprised.  The digital people, D1-,
finally justified it in that the timing with their other releases would not
fit in the Photokina time frame.  It is just too soon for the next iteration
to come out for them.  Also since they are leading Canon, they don't need to
respond to everything Canon comes out with.  And of course with the Kodak
showing Nikon is getting business in that manner.  Then began the whole
debate about Nikon setting the standard, people not needing more pixels, no
need for a full frame sensor because of yadda, yadda, yadda.  Very
entertaining.

It was most interesting observing the talk there and comparing it to the
talk here.

As an aside, I got offered a D1X at an awesome price.  New, from the
factory.  Verrry tempting.  If not that, then there was a D100 available to
me.  I was talking to the owner of the store and he had a sales clerk take
the D1X out of the box, put on a lens and hand it to me.  He was going for
the hard sell.  He does not let just anyone handle camera gear of that
worth.  Maybe it is time to dust off my Nikon lenses and see how well they
work with the D1X:-)  I have access to one here at work, along with a D1H.
He kept telling me that I would find it useful during the festival this past
weekend.  I ended up shooting nine rolls of mostly color slide film instead
using the MZ-S mostly.

Cesar
Panama City, Florida