----- Original Message -----
From: Brad Dobo
Subject: Re: Brad's Pentax Gripe Gets Nasty ;-)

> Thank you Bill, a person that's here and understands the
problems with
> Pentax Canada.

I really do envy Pål regarding Pentax Norway's service.
He has a reliable LX, and maintains the LX is a good reliable
camera.
I have 3 LX's, none of which are particularly reliable.
I can't even blame the hard Canadian climate, as he lives
farther north than I do.
It also sounds like Pentax Norway is fairly pro-active with
customer service.

Oh, ummmm, I really don't blame PCI for not stocking the 2000mm
lens.
The big lenses like that tend to be built in very small batches,
as they don't really sell all that many of them. Having them in
stock won't change that.
I had a customer ask me to inquire after the Nikkor 2000mm
reflex several years ago. At that time, the street price on that
lens was 12-16k.
NCI confirmed the price and gave a delivery time of a few
months. They didn't have one in all of North America.

I have a story wanting to get out, please bear with me......

After I bought my F3, I decided I wanted a 50mm f/1.2 lens to go
with it.
I was able to order my 50mm f/1.2 directly from NCI, it was a
perk of working for the camera store. I got it for 10% off best
dealer net.
I paid about 600.00 for it.
I waited nearly 5 months to get it. Apparently, it was built to
order from parts, as Nikon only sold about 50 of then a year,
worldwide.
The day it came was a happy one, for a while. I put my new lens
onto my F3 and took it to show a buddy.
I know I had it mounted and locked on properly.
Anyway, the lens fell off the camera and hit the sidewalk.
It broke the UV filter, but the filter ring saved the threads,
and jammed the focus helicoid.
It took a few days for the local repair guy to fix, and when I
got it back, the helicoid jammed again shortly therafter.
Apparently, it collimated OK, but I didn't think it was right.
Basically the lens was a mess, and never worked properly.

I never got to find out if it was a good lens.

William Robb