Mara, Ben, List

I'm excited for the discussion that you have set up with your introductory
remarks. Keeping it brief, (I'm sneaking this email in while at work) I
wanted to focus one of your first questions:

Is the assumption that the universe is regular enough to afford
explanation? Or is it simply an affirmation of the power of the combination
of instinct, intuition, logic, mathematics, and phaneroscopy to create
explanatory patterns out of randomness?

Peirce's argument against Mill's notion that we can form knowledge about
the universe because it is regular has always puzzled me. It strikes me
that this argument is of fundamental importance (especially when dealing
with themes the of truth & reality), however I've always felt something
lacking in my understanding of Peirce's take down. If somebody is willing
to rehearse Mill's position and Peirce's response, I think we could get
closer to answering Mara & Ben's question.

Best,
Ulysses