Matt, Ulysses, Mara, Ben, List,

Peirce comments in several places on Mill's understanding of the phrase
"the uniformity of nature" as the basis for induction. Here's one lucid
passage, broken up into shorter paragraphs for readability and to allow for
some brief comments on the material I've placed in italics (Mill's
position) and boldface (Peirce's counter to it). However, I'm pressed for
time the next few days, so I'm sending it out sans comments because I think
the passage itself gets at the heart of question and, in truth, doesn't
really need much comment as I see it.

CP 1.92 §16. REASONING FROM SAMPLES

   Many persons seem to suppose that the state of things asserted in the
premisses of an induction renders the state of things asserted in the
conclusion probable. . .  Even John Stuart Mill holds that the uniformity
of nature makes the one state of things follow from the other. *He
overlooks the circumstance that if so it ought to follow necessarily, while
in truth no definite probability can be assigned to it without absurd
consequences. He also overlooks the fact that inductive reasoning does not
invariably infer a uniformity; it may infer a diversity*. . .

Mill never made up his mind in what sense he took the phrase "uniformity of
nature" when he spoke of it as the basis of induction. *In some passages he
clearly means any special uniformity by which a given character is likely
to belong to the whole of a species, a genus, a family, or a class if it
belongs to any members of that group. *I*n this sense, as well as in
others, overlooked by Mill, there is no doubt the knowledge of a uniformity
strengthens an inductive conclusion; but it is equally free from doubt that
such knowledge is not essential to induction. *

*But in other passages Mill holds that it is not the knowledge of the
uniformity, but the uniformity itself that supports induction, and
furthermore that it is no special uniformity but a general uniformity in
nature. *Mill's mind was certainly acute and vigorous, but it was not
mathematically accurate; and it is by that trait that I am forced to
explain his not seeing that* this general uniformity could not be so
defined as not on the one hand to appear manifestly false or on the other
hand to render no support to induction, or both. *

He says it means that under similar circumstances similar events will
occur. But this is vague. *Does he mean that objects alike in all respects
but one are alike in that one?* *But plainly no two different real objects
are alike in all respects but one.* *Does he mean that objects sufficiently
alike in other respects are alike in any given respect?* *But that would be
but another way of saying that no two different objects are alike in all
respects but one. It is obviously true; but it has no bearing on induction,
where we deal with objects which we well know are, like all existing
things, alike in numberless respects and unlike in numberless other
respects.*

       1.93. *The truth is that induction is reasoning from a sample taken
at random to the whole lot sampled. A sample is a random one, provided it
is drawn by such machinery, artificial or physiological, that in the long
run any one individual of the whole lot would get taken as often as any
other. Therefore, judging of the statistical composition of a whole lot
from a sample is judging by a method which will be right on the average in
the long run, and, by the reasoning of the doctrine of chances, will be
nearly right oftener than it will be far from right.*

1.94. That this does justify induction is a mathematical proposition beyond
dispute. It has been objected that the sampling cannot be random in this
sense. But this is an idea which flies far away from the plain facts.
Thirty throws of a die constitute an approximately random sample of all the
throws of that die; and *that the randomness should be approximate is all
that is required.*

Ben and I recently wrote a paper touching on aspects of this issue from
Peirce's perspective for Torkild Thellefsen's book, so I know he'll have a
great deal of interest to say about it.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*