Here's Mill's position as given by Sigwart.

Logic, Vol. II pg. 299 –301, 303:

   In one respect J. S. Mill holds the same views as Hume. For him
   nothing is given but particular sensations, and these sensations are
   originally subjective states of feeling. But there must be some way
   of proceeding from these to science in the full sense, and this way
   is to be shown by inductive logic ; this will be, moreover, the only
   way in which we can pass beyond immediate experience to the
   knowledge of something which we do not experience immediately.

   Induction, as he defines it, is that operation of the mind by which
   we infer that what we know to be true in a particular case or cases
   will be true in all cases which resemble the former in certain
   assignable respects—the process by which we conclude that what is
   true of certain individuals of a class is true of the whole class,
   or that what is true at certain times will be true in similar
   circumstances at all times.

   But he goes on to add that this process of inference presupposes a
   principle, a general assumption with regard to the course of nature
   and the order of the universe, namely, that what happens once will,
   under a sufficient degree of similarity of circumstances, happen
   again, and not only again, but as often as the same circumstances
   recur. This proposition, that the course of nature is uniform, is
   the fundamental principle, or general axiom of induction.

   Every particular so-called induction is therefore a syllogism, of
   which the major premise is this general principle, and which can be
   expressed as follows:—

   Under similar circumstances, the same event will always happen.
   Under circumstances a, b, c, D has been found ;
   Therefore under circumstances a, b, c, D will always be found ;

   It is clear, although Mill has not sufficiently noted it, that,
   regarded only in this aspect, the particular case proves just as
   much as a whole series of cases, and that I can draw exactly the
   same conclusion from a single observation as from many similar
   observations.

   But now the question arises as to the origin of the universal major
   premise and the consequent significance of this syllogism; and here
   comes in again Mill's doctrine as to the nature of the syllogism of
   which we have already spoken (I. § 55, 3, p. 359). The universal
   major premise cannot explain the inductive process, for it is itself
   obtained by induction; it is indeed one of the latest and highest
   inductions grounded upon preceding partial inductions. The more
   obvious laws of nature must have been already recognised by
   induction as general truths before we could think of this highest
   generalization. Hence we can only regard this highest major premise
   as a guarantee for all our inductions in the sense in which all
   major premises contribute something to the validity of their
   syllogisms; the major premise contributes nothing to prove the truth
   of the conclusion, but is a necessary condition of its being proved,
   since no conclusion can be proved for which there cannot be found
   from the same grounds a valid universal major premise.

   In other words, we really infer only from observed cases of
   uniformity to other cases ; because we have found a uniform relation
   between a certain number of phenomena, we infer that it will be so
   also with every other class of phenomena; but, according to Mill,
   this latter conclusion—a real Aristotelian inference from example—is
   only certain if we can infer from the observed uniformities to
   general uniformity.

   Upon what ground can we infer from a number of instances of observed
   uniformity to universal uniformity? […]

   […]

pg. 303:

   Taking away with one hand what he gives with the other. Mill shows
   in the uncertainty of his views the helplessness of pure empiricism,
   the impossibility of erecting an edifice of universal propositions
   on the sand-heap of shifting and isolated facts, or, more
   accurately, sensations; the endeavour to extract any necessity from
   a mere sum of facts must be fruitless.

   The only true point in the whole treatment is one in which Mill as a
   logician gets the better of Mill as an empiricist; namely, that
   every inductive inference contains a universal principle; that if it
   is to be an inference and not merely an association of only
   subjective validity, the transition from the empirically universal
   judgment all known A's are B to the unconditionally universal all
   that is A is B can only be made by means of a universal major
   premise, and that only upon condition of this being true are we
   justified in inferring from the particular known A’s to the still
   unknown A’s. But then the universal major premise cannot be obtained
   simply by means of a summation of facts, for this by itself can
   yield no more than it says, that in a certain number of cases A was
   B, and as pure matter of fact contains no reason for passing beyond
   these A’s to other A’s ; it must have some other origin than in
   previously perceived facts, and our right to make use of it must
   have some other ground than the narration of cases which have been
   observed so far.