Jon, Edwina, lists,

Yes, I read McCullough a few decades ago and learned a lot from him, long
before I started reading Peirce). But I think part of the problem here is
that for Peirce, and I think for his contemporaries, "physiology" is closer
to "phenomenology" than it is to "physics". It is the study of forms and
sturctures generally, not only of physical forms and biological structures.
For instance, in his classification of sciences where he's discussing
phenomenology, esthetics and ethics, he writes:
"The true principal purpose of these sciences is the Classification of
possible forms. But this must be founded on a study of the Physiology of
those forms, their general elements, parts, and mode of action. Thereupon
should follow the Classificatory part, including the general discussion of
what is good and what bad; and this should be followed up by a study of the
principles that govern the production of such forms" (EP2:272).

The same applies to the usage of "physiology" in the 1883 quote I posted
today. Peirce is talking about the physiology of *logic* (i.e. of semiosis
as he would put it later on), not primarily about biology or physics or
psychology. That excerpt is about the connection of syllogistic logic with
primitive forms of *cognition*, but Edwina reads it pansemiotically as
applying to physical "organization of matter" all the way down to the
molecular (maybe the atomic?) level, and thus doesn't distinguish between
cognitive and physical processes. But for purposes of NP, we don't need to
engage in the endless debate over pansemiotics; primitive cognition is as
far down as we need to go in theorizing its continuity with reasoning.

gary f.