Dear Stan, list -
My claim certainly does not entail that physics be entirely mechanistic. My
observation is just that sign concepts are widespread in biology, not so in
physics. This gives us the idea that biology studies real semiotic processes,
while physics, including QM, does not. This observation, of course, only holds
for the present state - as sciences evolve, it may be proved wrong by further
developments in physics. You might also state my view by saying that biology
constitutes the semiotic part of physics.
Your pointing to the social role of industry and technology in the advancement
of physics is quite important, still I take it to address the institutional
part of the epistemology of physics, not the objects of physical research. But
as my book addresses only the semiotics of propositions from biology and
"upwards", it becomes less important whether we agree as to the status of
semiotics in physics.
Best

Den 04/09/2014 kl. 15.58 skrev Stanley N Salthe