Dear Jon, list

Thanks for a great McCulloch quote. You are right that many of these issues
have been discussed before, but this is no reason to be tired or resigned like
you sound in your intro to that quote. It is a human condition that most
important issues have been discussed before. This should not prevent us from
carrying on.

McCulloch recapitulates how Peirce's theory of propositions prompted him early
on to make a theory of how those propositions are processed by psychological
states - giving him the idea that neuronal interactions correspond to
propositional events. This is a nice theory, fitting Peirce's idea that all in
semiotics and logic should be conceived of as the ongoing analyses of the basic
phenomenon which is the chain of reasoning. Charting how brains or psyches
implement aspects of that chain, however important this is, does not change the
importance of P's insistence that logic in the broad sense should be studied
independently of how it may be realized in any particular physical medium, be
it in minds, machines or elsewhere.

Best