Dear Howard, Stan, lists,

I think Stan is right the line has both qualities - the geometric line is
continuous and the arithmetic line is discontinuous.
Some higher animals are capable of rudimentary mathematics (subitizing small
numbers).
But Howard, the claim that human brains do mathematics is not equivalent to the
claim that mathematics must be part of the study of brain structures. Compare:
television sets process TV series - therefore the study of TV series is the
study of TV sets. Or: chemical industries produce pure H2SO4 --> the study of
pure H2SO4 is the study of chemical industries.
Is'nt the simplest  reason why points and motions are processed in different
areas of the human brain  the fact that points and motions are different?
Best

Den 18/09/2014 kl. 15.57 skrev Stanley N Salthe
<ssal...@binghamton.edu<mailto:ssal...@binghamton.edu>>
:

Howard -- Concerning the diremption between discreteness and continuity, isn't
the real line an example of a model that combines both? That is, by picking out
one number -- say, 5.765 -- we realize that it is infinitely continuous with
smaller and larger numbers, and that our choice of 'significant' cutoffs was
merely a practical matter.  It seems to me that he real line must be a model
combining continuity and discreteness IF we take into consideration the scale
of observation.

STAN

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Howard Pattee