Gary F wrote:

"Peirce does say that an icon denotes an object, . . "      (100714-1)

An icon as a qualisign is in the mode of Firstness and hence cannot
"denote" others.  This problem would disappear if an icon can denote
itself or "self-denoting".  Would such a possibility (!) consistent with
Peirce's writings or with NP ?

With all the best.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701