From: Benjamin Udell [mailto:bud...@nyc.rr.com]
Sent: January 29, 2015 7:23 PM
To: biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee; 'Peirce-L'
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Triadic Relations

John C., Jeff, lists,

John, You're right, in the sense of 'ordered pair' (e.g., such that, in set
theory, _relation_ is defined as ordered pair), it's true that there's no
intuitive sense of 'more' or 'less' or 'earlier' or 'later' to which the
relation appeals as a rule. Every arbitrary sequence is ordered in a sense; the
order for the sequence is given by the sequence itself and it may or may not
follow some pattern of an iterated operation or the like. I thought that Jeff
had an ordering rule in mind but maybe he didn't.

I too said that we should not think of the object, sign, and interpretant as
'falling dominoes'. It's because falling dominoes are dyadic in action, while
semiosis is triadic. You also say,

I am not at all clear that there is a unique "order of semiotic determination"
[End quote]

The process of semiotic determination  is what _defines_ sign, object, and
interpretant. Some first thing (the sign) is determined by some second thing
(the object) to determine some third thing (the interpretant) to be related to
the second thing (object) as the first thing (sign) is related to the second
thing (object).

The order of semiotic determination directly reflects that. Insofar as
something acts as a _source_ of semiotic determination, it is a semiotic
object. A sign is a kind of means or mediator of semiotic determination, and an
interpretant is a kind of end - usually a secondary end insofar as in its turn
it is usually also a sign, a mediator toward further interpretation. (Peirce
somewhere discusses the 'ultimate logical interpretant' which brings semiosis
to a close and is not a sign, at least not a sign in the semiosis that leads to
it, but a disposition to conduct thenceforward.)

Best, Ben