I'll defend the Vienna Circle just a little further because I believe that
they have been misunderstood and mistreated by lesser men in the twentieth
century and that there is some correction going on now. Quine stands alone,
and as Clark said, he has his own problems. He's also responsible to
ignoring the Peirce contributions explicitly, that does not endear him to
me.

I am also less convinced that Peirce was unknown to them, although there is
little explicit consideration given. Hilbert certainly had Peirce in mind.

Steven