At 12:09 PM 5/10/2015, Gary Fuhrman wrote:
I don't think Frederik wants to get into an dispute over words any more than I do.

HP: Word choice is not the issue. Frederik has explained why Peirce avoided the words "subject-object."

GF: Howard, to the extent that you've clarified what you mean by "the subject-object dichotomy" it should be clear that Peircean semiotic has no problem with that distinction, and uses it as much as any philosopher or physicist.

HP: Top say there is "no problem with the distinction" is to miss the issue. Peirce did recognize the epistemic problem connecting the mathematics (the symbols) with the  experiment (with matter).  Peirce: ". . . the power that connects the conditions of the mathematicians diagram with the relations he observes in it is just as occult and mysterious to us as the power of Nature that brings about the results of the chemical experiment." Because mathematical models are symbolic I also call this the symbol-matter problem, and like physicists I recognize the necessity of this distinction (called the epistemic cut) if any experiment is to make sense. (Wigner called this connection "the most fundamental problem of all.")

Peirce found something "occult and mysterious." If you don't like my words, then can you, or anyone, please express in your own words the nature of the connection that you think Peirce found "occult and mysterious."

Howard