List, Howard:

On May 11, 2015, at 9:15 AM, Gary Fuhrman wrote:

> In W6:37, Peirce says that two subjects are “occult and mysterious.” One is
> “the power of nature that brings about the result of the chemical experiment”
> – or more generally, causality in the physical universe. This is “mysterious”
> because it is unobservable in itself, yet we are forced by this “power” to
> admit that there must be a system of regular relations between (a) the causes
> and conditions constituting the experiment and (b) the result of it, and we
> can only guess what that regular relation is in itself.

Beware of Gary's falsification of the CSP's meaning by his ill-conceived
generalization when he writes about causality in the physical universe where
causality is mostly viewed as the regularity of continuous functions.

1. Chemical observations are observed.  Without observations of physical
matter, the entire chemical plexus of material existences would not have come
to be.  Gary's ratiocination of the meaning of chemical symbols is absurd.

2. Chemistry and the entire plexus of observable bodies, save the atomic
numbers, are IRREGULAR.  As you well know, the regularity of the atomic numbers
is a physical construct.  The irregularity of the structures of molecules is
well known and the antecedent of CSP logic, as illustrated by such terms as
index (rather than such terms as count or number), rhema and dicisign. The
overt chemo-centricity of CSP thinking leads him to the structures of his
various graphs as related to copulas / medads.  By his own words these graphs
were his crowning achievement.

What is "occult and mysterious" to me is how he conjoined these many
semantic/rhetoric  parts into a coherent whole WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF
CONTINUITY.

CSP's logical and rhetorical transition from the regularity of mathematics to
the irregularity of chemistry (and hence to the    irregularity of biology and
medicine is a wide open question.  This question itself seems to be beyond the
grasp of many CSP scholars.

Can anyone offer an opinion on how he engineered this transition?

Cheers

The HAPPY CHEMIST