Howard, I’ve already complied with your request (last week), but I’ll try once
more to explain what it is that Peirce described as “occult and mysterious” in
his letter to Marie Noble (who was a student in his correspondence course on
logic). Actually a careful reading of the whole letter would probably be more
useful to you, but you’ve asked for another explanation, so here it is.

In W6:37, Peirce says that two subjects are “occult and mysterious.” One is
“the power of nature that brings about the result of the chemical experiment” –
or more generally, causality in the physical universe. This is “mysterious”
because it is unobservable in itself, yet we are forced by this “power” to
admit that there must be a system of regular relations between (a) the causes
and conditions constituting the experiment and (b) the result of it, and we can
only guess what that regular relation is in itself.

The other subject which is “just as occult and mysterious” is “the power that
connects the conditions of the mathematician’s diagram with the relations he
observes in it.” Peirce’s point is that like physical causality, that “power”
(namely the necessity of mathematical reasoning) is no less compelling than
physical causality, even though no physical things or events are involved in it
(since mathematical objects are imagined), and no more directly observable than
physical causality is, so that both “powers” are equally “occult and
mysterious.” As I said before, the upshot is that the mathematician’s
experiments with diagrams do not differ in this respect from the chemist’s
experiments with his chemicals and laboratory apparatus, because “all reasoning
involves observation” (W6:37).

Now, I don’t doubt that you can find some way of translating Peirce’s statement
into a statement about your “symbol-matter problem” and your “epistemic cut.”
But this can only be a very free translation, and there is no need for it,
except for those who insist on reducing everything in science to the
“symbol-matter problem.” There are other problems, and some have been addressed
both in Natural Propositions and on these lists.

Gary f.