Helmut, List,

A day in the yard meditatively pulling weeds helped me to clear my head and
I think I can see where this all went agley.  I still think that what Harry
wrote is an apt statement of a critical point in Peirce's theory of signs
and I'm sorry if I stepped on it with my nonce-ens words about “ontologism”
so I'll put off the long version explanation of that to another time.

On Edwina's prompting I did take the trouble to look the word up
and I see that it really was already in use, however obscurely,
at least to a non-mediæval scholar like me:

☞ http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11257a.htm

“Ontologism is an ideological system which maintains that God and Divine ideas
are the first object of our intelligence and the intuition of God the first act
of our intellectual knowledge.”

Although I can dimly see, or imagine a link between that ideology
and the ideology I was trying to criticize I think it's probably
best to avoid conflating the two ideas and so I'll go back to
using words like “essentialism” that I've used before, as in
this record of an earlier discussion:

☞ Nominalism and Essentialism are the Scylla and Charybdis that Pragmatism Must
Navigate Its Middle Way Between
( http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2012/09/21/nominalism-and-essentialism-are-the-scylla-and-charybdis-that-pragmatism-must-navigate-its-middle-way-between/ )

A famous physicist whose name I've forgotten
once said something to the following effect:

“An -ism never did much for science, except for prism.”

To prism I'd add pragmatism and maybe schism but the point is that
I almost always speak of isms in a critical vein, as emphases that
have closed out their complementary emphases or as ideologies that
have taken their initial idea a bridge too far.  So I was thinking
of the series ontology, ontologist, ontologism on analogy with the
series science, scientist, scientism.

So it's perfectly okay to say that relations exist in the world and
you can even say that thirdness is the essence of triadic relations,
meaning that all triadic relations have a property in common that
you might as well call “thirdness” as anything else, but when you
turn to saying that thirdness inheres in one of the places of the
relation and not the others then that is a matter of another sort
and it does not automatically follow.  Here we risk what I have
called the “Fallacy Of Misplaced Essence” (FOME) and avoiding
that takes quite a bit more care.

Regards,

Jon