Hi, Jeff D., list,

As regards phaneroscopy, I can see how the _/application/_ of phaneroscopic findings to posterior fields could be taken as initially hypothetical or initially tentatively inductive. I recall Peirce somewhere saying that he found his three-category theory borne out and supported by success in applications. Viewing the phaneroscopic observations (or discernments) as hypothetical even within phaneroscopy seems to involve some sort of inductive development within phaneroscopy whereby one extends ideas found through such observations. Peirce said some striking things about reasoning in phaneroscopy, Joe Ransdell said some years ago at peirce-l that he didn't see how phaneroscopy could be a science, and I remember arguing that Peirce didn't mean that one could not reason about the phaneroscopic observations. Peirce says that the phaneroscopic student sedulously avoids hypothetical explanations of any sort http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/phaneroscopy , but seem to mean explanations in terms of physiology, physics, and that sort of thing. In that quote Peirce also talks about combining minute accuracy with the broadest possible generalization, and also says that phaneroscopy "proves, beyond question, that a certain very short list comprises all of these broadest categories [...]." So I think that you've grounds in Peircean terms to talk about hypotheses in phaneroscopy since you've stopped calling them the starting points.

I got myself to worrying, however, just how comparable pure hypothetical mathematical assumptions are to explanatory hypotheses in other fields.

The hypotheses from which pure mathematics draws conclusions are not explanatory hypotheses. Peirce says in CP 4.238 in the paper "The Simplest Mathematics" (1902):

   [....] Even the framing of the particular hypotheses of special
   problems almost always calls for good judgment and knowledge, and
   sometimes for great intellectual power, as in the case of Boole's
   logical algebra. Shall we exclude this work from the domain of
   mathematics? Perhaps the answer should be that, in the first place,
   whatever exercise of intellect may be called for in applying
   mathematics to a question not propounded in mathematical form [it]
   is certainly not pure mathematical thought; and in the second place,
   that the mere creation of a hypothesis may be a grand work of
   poietic genius, but cannot be said to be scientific, inasmuch as
   that which it produces is neither true nor false, and therefore is
   not knowledge. [....]
   [End quote]

The case of the pure-mathematical hypothesis seems to be that of "in the second place." In Peirce's drafts of an intellectual autobiography in 1904 (see Ketner's chapter in _The Logic of Interdisciplinarity_), Peirce says:

   [....] Mathematics merely traces out the consequences of hypotheses
   without caring whether they correspond to anything real or not. It
   is purely deductive, and all necessary inference is mathematics,
   pure or applied. Its hypotheses are suggested by any of the other
   sciences, but its assumption of them is not a scientific act. [....]
   [End quote]

On the other hand, Peirce in some places discusses the use of abductive or hypothetical inference within mathematics. I wish I could dig one of those quotes up right now but I'm sure they exist. Mathematicians often use guesswork in the process of finding a proof, but usually don't mention the guesses. Such abduced hypotheses, usually informal, seem the mathematical counterpart of explanatory hypotheses, often more-formalized, in other fields. The hypothetical assumptions from which mathematics deduces, and which are pure, unfounded hypotheses, seem something else. On the other hand, people arrive at such pure hypotheses somehow by mental action, so it must involve inference somehow. This question is murky to me. Even if Peirce ought to allow that mathematical postulates are true in some realm of possibility (or can at least be shown to be consistent-if-arithmetic-is-consistent, etc.), and then allow that their formation or assumption is, after all, some kind of scientific act, I'm not sure what such postulates explain, as if one already had the mathematical conclusions and were looking for postulates to entail them. Come to think of it, in "On the Logic of Drawing History from Ancient Documents" (1901) EP 2:96 http://www.commens.org/dictionary/term/corollarial-reasoning , Peirce says that a new abstraction introduced in the course of proving a theorem ought to be supported with a proper postulate. That seems a case of a postulate helping explain the truth of the thesis. But the only proof related to supporting that postulate would be a proof that it leaves the system as consistent (i.e., as possible) as it was before. So again it seems different than a hypothesis outside mathematics. On the other hand, it is because mathematics deduces from pure, unfounded hypotheses that it can be applied in deducing from founded explanatory hypotheses in other fields. The hypothesis founded outside mathematics seems correlated to the hypothesis unfounded within mathematics in standing at the start of deductions. Now, mathematical postulates should generally be simple, independent but consistent, and so on, but should lead to nontrivial results, and in that sense they should _/be/_ nontrivial, i.e., not so simple ("You can't get a ten-pound theorem out of a five-pound set of postulates," or however the saying goes). If we're to consider these postulates as hypotheses abduced somehow, how does the value placed on natural simplicity in abductive conclusions fit in here?

Well, I'm afraid I've brought more murk than light to this subject.

Best, Ben