Gary R - thanks for this clarification. I agree; the table of 9 are NOT
embodiments.

I consider them the terms for the Relations; eg, in the letters to Lady Welby,
where he writes:

"Now signs may be divided as to their own material nature, as to their
relations to their objects, and as to their relations to their interpretants"
(8.333).  And

"In respect to their relations to their dynamic objects, I divide signs into
Icons, Indices and Symbols" 8.335. [Gary F and I differ strongly on certain
aspects of this, as he considers the term 'sign' to refer to and only to the
Representamen, whereas i consider the term to refer to either the Represenamen
OR the full triad of relations].

And, "in regard to its relation to its signified Interperpretant, a sign is
either a Rheme, a Dicent or an Argument" 8.337.

These are the two Relations that offer 'breadth' to the semiosic Sign (the
triad) - ie the R-O and the R-I. The Representamen relates to itself 'As it is
in itself" (8.224) and this, in my view, offers DEPTH, offering the generalized
history of this Representamen in its other two Relations - that between the R
and the O, and that between the R and the I.

The ten classes, as triads, are on the other hand - embodied, while the 9
Relations are not embodied. Instead, they are three Relations (R-O, R-R, R-I)
and function in each of the three categorical modes). The Sign, the full triad,
on the other hand, is embodied, in both breadth and depth.

Edwina