Hi Gary F,

Thank you very much.
I read it once, but I am afraid I will need more than one reading to really
understand what Peirce was trying to say.

All the best.

Sung

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 5:54 PM, <g...@gnusystems.ca> wrote:

> NDTR is an acronym for “Nomenclature and Divisions of Triadic Relations,”
> EP2:289-99, fifth section of the 1903 Syllabus, and the main text this
> thread has been referring to, so far.
>

> Since I included in my post a few quotes from MS 7, which we discussed at
> some length back in the spring of 2014, I’ll post my transcription of the
> manuscript here (from a photocopy of it posted to the list by Vinicius
> Romanini, I think). It’s an interesting text because it prefigures (or
> refigures?) many of the things Peirce says about signs in “New Elements,”
> which follows immediately after NDTR in EP2. The lack of paragraphing is
> Peirce’s.    — gary f.
>

> *On the Foundations of Mathematics*
>
> *MS 7, c. 1903 [gf transcription, 4 Apr 2014, Peirce's underlining
> rendered as italics] *
>
> §1. Mathematics deals essentially with *Signs*. All that we know or think
> is so known or thought by signs, and our knowledge itself is a sign. The
> word and idea of a sign is familiar but it is indistinct. Let us endeavor
> to analyze it.
>
> It is plain at the outset, first, that a sign is not any particular
> *replica* of it. If one casts one's eye down a printed page, every ‘the’
> is the same word, and every e the same letter. The exact identity is not
> clear. Secondly, a sign may be complex; and the parts of a sign, though
> they are signs, may not possess all the essential characters of a more
> complete sign. Thirdly, a sign sufficiently complete must be capable of
> determining an *interpretant* sign, and must be capable of ultimately
> producing real results. For a proposition of metaphysics which could never
> contribute to the determination of conduct would be meaningless jargon. On
> the other hand, the cards which, slipped into a Jacquard loom, cause
> appropriate figures to be woven, may very properly be called signs although
> there is no conscious interpretation of them. If not, it can only be
> because they are not interpreted by signs. In fact, in the present
> condition of philosophy, consciousness seems to be a mere quality of
> feeling which a formal science will do best to leave out of account. But a
> sign only functions as a sign when it is interpreted. It is therefore
> essential that it should be capable of determining an interpretant sign.
> Fourthly, a sign sufficiently complete must in some sense correspond to a
> real object. A sign cannot even be false unless, with some degree of
> definiteness, it specifies the real object of which it is false. That the
> sign itself is not a definite real object has been pointed out under
> “firstly”. It is only *represented*. Now either it must be that it is one
> thing to *really be* and another to *be represented*, or else it must be
> that there is no such thing [a]s *falsity*. This involves no denial that
> every real thing may be a representation, or sign, but merely that, if so,
> [...]

Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701