Matt, list,

Can you give your source for this?

I cannot. I confess that my statement was not well-thought out. I did not
mean to imply anything about the possibility of developing scientific
terminology in any given human language. What I meant "about the
development of a language to the point where it can articulate scientific
terminology" is thinking about the case of where we find ourselves today,
in the state in which scientific terminology has actually developed to the
point it has. Obviously not every human language in history has developed
to the point of having the terminology that the sciences today command. For
example, the use of Latin words for developing terms identifying species in
biology, and the whole host of such terms that have been developed. Or the
development of mathematical language to the point where physical theories
like the general and special theories of relativity can be articulated.

I take it for granted though that it is widely acknowledged that human
languages do differ with respect to the rules of construction and the
things that can be said. If there has not been a vocabulary established in
a given language for discussing projective geometry, people speaking only
that language won't be able to say things about it without going through
the work of developing a system of terminology in order to say things about
it, or by translating from another language.

My essential point though was just to point out that trying to look to
human language as a model for representing reasoning, or the subject matter
of logic, is an ill-considered and ill-advised venture, precisely because
there is so much difference between human languages. It's not as though a
universal human language has been discovered by linguists, so I raised
concerns about Sungchul's reliance on 'human language' as his model for
representing reasoning. If one is to accept Sunchul's approach, we would
have to admit that there are different kinds of reasoning, one for each
human language, and logic would cease to be a general science of reasoning,
and would become indistinguishable from linguistics.

-- Franklin